Sunday, January 28, 2007

Fashion tip? Not quite...

So this is for Missy who keeps encouraging me to post creative tips (I don't dare say fashion or beauty as I am in in no place to offer either). But we all have funny things we've discovered make us feel cuter--please share! But one of mine is cutting t-shirt necklines...I went through a phase in college where I pulled out all my little-boy thriftstore t-shirts (like Dodgers, Sunnyside Elementary, etc) from High School (another phase I guess) and by cutting the necklines, made them new t-shirts. So if it was ever in, it's got to be out by now, but do you know I STILL do it? Now I buy the cheap target t-shirts and do the same thing. If interested, keep reading.

So there's two ways to cut them. The most subtle way is just RIGHT below the collar (even though there's no real collar but below that inch or so of neckline-- is that called the collar?) just all the way around so your cutting the collar perfectly off and in the garbage goes an O. It opens it up more than you'd think and makes it more comfortable and -- the key-- shows your collar bone which makes a casual boy tee look much more femine. That works best if the shirt is pretty fitted. If it's really fitted and the sleeves are tight to the armpit, it's also cute if you take an inch+ off the sleeves to make it shaped more like a cap sleeve. If it's too loose on the armpit and you cut the sleeves, you could end up with that sort of 80's sort of white trash/Six Flags look (vision of bra through armpit hole)--- not cute.

So, the other way is even simpler--a line strait down the middle...as low as you want (ooh la la). This style you've seen in trendy stores for a little while, but you may as well cut it yourself. This is silly but here's a couple of pictures I had of one I cut like this. Hope this helps Missy! And anyone else with cute tees with unfortunately tight necklines.



Probably so not blogworthy. I think I'm a little out of control lately on the unedited thoughts I actually put in writing on this thing. I know it's open for all to read, but I still use it as a journal, so I reserve the right to be dull or trivial. :)

It's a new week tomorrow. Sigh.

6 comments:

Missy said...

Boo on blogger. I just posted a comment and it didn't show.

Anyway, erase that bangezhu spammer comment. Weird.

THANK YOU for posting about this though. That made my morning. Although it kinda makes me want to wait and have YOU cut my cute T with a too-tight-of-neckline. I'm nervous to do it on my own b/c I really like the shirt. Hmmm...And did you really just cut one line down the one's in the pic? I would've guessed that you did two to make the V shape cutout.

Love the fashion tips Lillie.

Lillie said...

Ok erased wierd spam blogger- I tried last night but it wouldn't let me. Some cookie problem. Sarah I forgot you did that too! Wouldn't be surprised if I copied you and forgot. Did I? Missy-- yeah it's just one line, the shirt's just so dang tight (as you can tell :)) it pulls it apart. In the first one the flaps are kind of tucked under which makes it look even more like a V.

D-dawg said...

fun idea! I definitely have some tees that I don't wear anymore cause they don't fit right. I'm going to have to try this.

Michelle said...

so I was feeling a little blue today...then I read this post. i thought to myself, "I'm gonna go get me a longsleeved too tight in the neck tee from aeropastale (you can tell I'm not normally that hip, I can't even spell it) and cut the neckline, the ooh lah lah way!" So I did. :) And it cheered me up. :) too bad cute collarbones don't hide uncute belly chub. oh well. we can't have everything. :)

Lauren said...

I'm going to have to try this. I have some shirts that are a little snug, especially since I'm nursing. ;) I wish that we lived closer so I could have Lillie the expert do it for me. I'm afraid that I'll mess it up! Did you end up getting bangs on Saturday like Reese? We need to see pictures of your beautiful new hair!

Lindsay Griffeth said...

I agree with Lauren....I wish you could do it for me! Yours always turn out so well. Although, I do have a number of older tshirts I'm going to try this on. I'll let you know how it turns out!