Monday, March 05, 2007

A weekend's work

Yup, we really did it. We painted our cabinets. Our friend Denae (she's on my links) blogged back in November about redoing hers, black island and all, and we loved it. Granted she did it the right way-- with the sander, the sprayer, and the professionals. We just primed and painted. Scary, and totally faux pas (sp?) I'm sure. We were a little terrified as we watched the brush strokes form and realized there was no going back, but frankly, as you can see from the before picture, we had nothing to lose. The standard cabinets they put in these houses aren't only a bummer stain, they're not even real wood, so we couldn't even sand them if we wanted to. I figured even if up close you could totally tell they were painted, brush strokes and all, it would still improve my mood every morning to come out to such a fresh palette of colors in my kitchen. So we love it. There's just one problem.

When I went to get my white paint, I had it in my head that all I needed was a can of pure, sitting-on-the-shelf, ready-to-be-purchased, white paint. It didn't help that I had Sophia on her 3rd errand in the afternoon, with a newly diagnosed ear infection, squirming and fussing on my hip... so I figured I didn't exactly have the luxury of being picky. After finishing the paint job, we looked through a Pottery Barn catalog to see where to place the hardware. We were then confronted with many a beautiful kitchen or bathroom with a much creamier set of white cabinets. Hmmm. I didn't say anything at first for fear that Ross would laugh (or worse) at the idea of fixing our JUST labor-intensively fixed cabinets.... but last night it all came out.

He's on board. Who'd have thought my husband would want the creamy Pottery Barn cabinets at the expense of another night of slave labor in the kitchen too!? Yay! So until we have the "after" after pictures, here are the before and after pictures (backwards for the blog's aesthetics).... with one thrown in of Ross in action.

10 comments:

Lindsay Griffeth said...

They look great! I love the black island with the white cabinets. Such a great look.

I am so impressed that Ross is OK with painting again! What a nice husband you have!

Anonymous said...

lurker here ... just to say that I love the after! Good work!

S.A.S. said...

The 'professional' give-away were Ross's kneepads. Don't give me this 'amateaur' stuff. And HELLO! Your kitchen is pure PB and SOOOOO beautiful! I can't believe people are this industrious and actually embark on weekend projects that take paint and primer and Home Depot trips. Impressive. My room has maintained it's boring original color.. when you come out will you assess? Just a suggestion or two from the home-improver would be great:) Love it!!!

D-dawg said...

Yay! You do it! I think it looks great and I am totally impressed that you guys did it yourselves! Good job. And only one weekend, that seems fast. I don't think the bright white is too white. It looks so clean. Good job!

Michelle said...

fabulous fabulous. and I too am amazed by ross' okayness with redoing it (although seriously from the pictures the bright white looks great.) brandon has become an enemy to painting ever since I asked for a red bathroom, then got pregnant before I could help last fall. 3 1/2 coats later, and the "p" word became an unmentionable. :)

anyway, good for you guys. the kitchen looks awesome. :) (love all the accessories too!)

Lauren said...

I love your cabinets! They look fabulous! Can I hire you to come decorate my house? So sorry to hear about Sophia having another ear infection. Taggart has an awful cold and has pretty much lost his voice and Grace is just getting over one, too.

The Marriotts said...

I LOVE the kitchen make-over!! Isn't it fun to do little 'home improvements' that make things brighter and lighter? (although it looked great before) I am so impressed you did this all by yourselves!! Where was Sophia? Did she want to play in the paint? It seriously looks like a catalog page from Pottery Barn. I think the white looks great, but post pictures of the 'creamier' paint- then we can see the final touch. Love it!!

Becky said...

i have a lot to learn. that is the cutest kitchen ever. before i read about the pictures i thought it was a sample kitchen straight out of the pottery barn catalog. can i hire you in ten years when zac and i can maybe afford a home of our own?

Unknown said...

Fabulous. I'm so inspired. We're going to have do this to ours. Our coutnertops are forest green (does that color still exist?) and the cabinets are this dark red/pinkish color. Hideous. Thanks for the inspiration-

Genny said...

Wow, that looks AMAZING! I'm way impressed at Ross, too, for being willing to paint *again.* Nate would have laughed in my face. Your house is so beautiful and you have wonderful taste!!!