Friday, January 30, 2009

A Few Photography ...... tips?

I cringe as I type the word "tips", since I don't feel informed enough to give them, but I can't think of another word. Every day I learn something new and realize I've been doing so many things terribly wrong. There's SOOO much I don't know. And everything I DO know, I've learned from you. Lots of you online. Especially Allie, who I'm probably starting to freak out by how often I mention her. On one hand, it doesn't feel quite right to offer tips as if they're mine to offer, but on the other, I remember how GRATEFUL I was that Sarie would talk camera with me, and Allie would take the time to post all sorts of tutorials. So I'm going to do just a few "this is what I do"s... since I've had a few comments over the course of -- a while--- that have asked.

CAMERA-- I use a Nikon D40, but if I were starting over, I might buy a Canon or invest in an even nicer Nikon just so I would have more lens options. I didn't realize that all the magic is in the lens.

LENSES-- I have an average 18-55 mm lens that I really almost NEVER use, a 55-200 mm zoom that I rarely use, and my prime, 30mm f/1.4 that I almost always use. (It's a Sigma lens because Nikon doesn't make one that will Auto Focus with the D40, which is really sad because the one they make that's f/1.8 is like $100 and the Sigma is like $400. I know. You'll want to throw up even worse when you realize just how bad you want it.)

THE PRIME LENS-- Allie sold me on that just a few months after I had my camera and felt frustrated that my pictures were not coming out like magic yet. I knew there was a lot to learn and "talent" to acquire or whatever, but I was grateful when she said a lot of the "bright" and "sharp" magic comes from the lens. The "prime" or "portrait" or "fixed focal length" lens. Those are all the names I've heard it called. The magic is the f-stop, which describes the aperture. The lower the f-stop, the wider the aperture. The wider the aperture, the more light is let into your photo (without giving you that ridiculously slow shutter speed that turns the whole picture to blur) the more light in you photo means the brighter and sharper your pictures. It also means you can capture photos (without your ugly flash) in lower light situations, inside, or later in the day etc..... gives you more options. Also, (and I hope I describe this correctly) when you have the f-stop turned all the way down to 1.4 (or as low as yours goes) has a shorter "depth of field" which means the area it focuses on is smaller. WHICH means, yes you want to make certain you are focusing on the right thing, (usually the eyes, toes or lollipop or whatever other thing you want to accentuate) because the rest will most likely be less in focus, the background, totally out of focus. Which we all love. Allie called that bokeh... sounds like it should be a marshan word in Backyardigans now that I'm writing it doesn't it Allie? ... never mind, that's Boinga.

P.S. ABOUT THE PRIME LENS-- I forget that when I first got it, it was such an adjustment because it DOESN'T zoom. That's the whole "fixed focal length" thing. That's why mine is a 30mm. And not like a 30-85mm... or any other range. That's WHY it can do what it does. Allie said... that someone else said.... that's why it's so good at what it does, isn't trying to do too much at once. Because of that, that number is important. Because if you want to be closer or farther, you can't just twist the lens, you twist your bottom... closer or farther. I think I would prefer a 50mm so my pictures could be closer (The minimum focusing distance makes it so it won't focus if you get too close so I can't do those baby lip shots or anything), but this is the only prime lens that I found that will auto focus with my camera. The D40 apparently doesn't have the AF in the body, it needs to have it in the lens... blah blah blah.

MODE-- Because it's all about that low f-stop, I shoot in Aperture mode (turn the little dial to the A) and usually keep it turned all the way down if I'm shooting just ONE set of eyes. If there are more in the picture (this took me a while to really remember to do) then I turn it up so there won't be a bunch of blurry faces.

OTHER SETTINGS-- hmmm... the only things I really change often are my aperture: (if you're in A mode you can just turn it up and down using that little dial where you're right thumb is (it's like that dial you had to advance between pictures on disposable cameras), and ISO. If there's plenty of light I keep it at 200 or 400. If there's less, 800 and sometimes 1600. 1600 is also good if your kids aren't sitting still enough. It takes it faster. But the higher your ISO the grainier your picture. 400 is probably average for me. But I would way rather turn it all the way to 1600 and get a little "noise" on my picture, then turn on that ugly flash. Because honestly... one of the first tip-posts I read on Allie's blog said:

#1 TURN YOUR FLASH OFF
-- and I'm embarrassed to say that I really don't think I'd realized the flash was a no no. I mean it has it's place, and those fancy flashes that bounce the light around so they don't flash right on people's faces are much better, but if you don't NEED it, the natural light sure creates a prettier picture. Here's a quick reminder of the difference. Notice the depth of field... the curtain all in focus in the first, (the ugly shadow behind the chair) and the blurred background in the second? And a view of what I'm looking at right this very minute in case you were curious.



Where was I? I think maybe that's it for now. Hopefully I've stopped before I've given any really POOR advice.
Oh wait! Editing! I do do some post-processing.... Picasa which is free and SO easy to use (you can just download it online) and a few things I learned from Allie in Photoshop.... I think that's for another day though... naptime is coming to a close far too soon...

15 comments:

Kristie said...

I came across your blog via Sarie and I have been "stalking" your site for a little while, I just love your pics.

Thank you for posting this. I too am an avid amateur photographer but there is so much jargon out there that I get completely lost sometimes. You've put it in "english" which I love. Look forward to further tips and pics.

Lindsay Griffeth said...

THANK YOU, Lillie! That was actually quite helpful. Especially about the lens. I may need to get one of those. :)

Carrie said...

Thanks for all of your tips. I have always wanted to learn to take beautiful pictures! I have played with my camera a little bit by reading the manual to see what the functions are, but you really spoke English!! Thanks...if you learn anything else I would love for you to post it!!

kkmom said...

Thank Lillie... I am so new to all of this, I I htink our is a D80, so I will have to see what features it still has. My hubby seems to use the camera more than I do, but I really want to get into it! esp. While the kiddos are young.

Anonymous said...

I think this was great. I really think you should charge money to shoot all these wonderful photos!

Alyssa Griffeth said...

Thanks Lillie! (I am one of your many blog-stalker...and also Lindsay's sister-in-law). I have a D-80 and a prime lens which I LOVE, but my pictures don't look anything like yours yet! The prime is fabulous for portrait shots. It's my favorite thing about my camera.

About that white photography/background paper that you posted about recently....any suggestions of websites to buy it on? Or the name so I can look it up?

Thanks again!

Michelle said...

hey super lady. I love how I'm like "GREAT! camera lessons!" and then by the end of it, i've drifted off because it's still such a foreign language. oh well.

little bro wants to upgrade so I DO get to enjoy his D40 in the near future..although I'm nervous because you would have gotten another if you could go back, I also know that even plain, flash-filled shots with it will be OODLES better than my 6-year-old point and shoot.

I think for now I'll just leave the magic to you and super allie. and maybe I'll make you guys sewn goods in exchange for your skills with my babies, when I am lucky enough to be in your presence.

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Thanks Lillie! I just got my new Canon 40D a few weeks ago, but am still trying to learn it. I have been playing with the Aperature setting and have gotten a few great shots, but nothing consistent yet. I have a great camera, and happily, I have that same sigma fixed lens, so all I need now is the practice. Thanks for your tips. Can't wait to put them to practice.

S.A.S. said...

Was this my birthday present for 2009? I'm so happy to hear these tips! You really do have an eye, and I love watching you learn photo by photo how to catch the things (lighting, focus, etc.) you do. I'm newly inspired and hope my husband (who reads your blog) decides that I should INVEST in your advice:) xo

Sarie said...

This is GREAT! I need to do this too. I think when I was starting out, I would eat this stuff up, so it's so good that you're taking the time to share such useful tips in such simple terms! Awesome.

AMIT said...

Hey u have posted good pictures.

BPO work from home

Sandy said...

Lillie you rock my world (the world of a struggling amateur photographer, that is). All I want in life is to be able to take as beautiful pictures as you take. :) Thank you!

Laura said...

Thank you so much for this! I stumbled upon your blog and I have loved looking at your photos. My husband bought me a Nikon D60 for Christmas, and I have just started playing around with it. Now I am excited to get a prime lens and experiment with that! Thank you for posting these tips!

Jennifer Gravley said...

I am so glad that you blogged about your camera. Bryon was just telling me to get a hold of you to find out what you use. Since I'm always telling him that I want to take picture like you. Thanks. You do take great photo's. I'm sure I will have more questions as we go.

alliehoopes said...

Ya well a good things about flash is that you get to see how cool those curtains are in the first pictue. Where'd they come from? And a secret (because I have no idea what I'm doing yet) is that I bought a flash. The (can't remember the letters preceeding the #)600. Wish me luck. Baby boy was making too many cute faces in the evening so I need to try to expand my skills.