Monday, February 02, 2009

backyard fun_edited-2


I still can't believe I haven't officially blogged about the backyard. When we moved in we had DIRT. A whole lot of dirt. And just before the holidays we finally finished putting in a stamped concrete patio, grass, a built-in sandbox, and some plants and trees. It's heaven right now... to actually be able to leave the door open for the kids to run in and out, actually getting good, relatively sand-free, fresh air. I have 'before' pictures ... but am STILL going to save that for another day. For now, this is just an ode to the backyard. A "what did I ever do before and what on earth will I do come summer when it's too sweltering to go outside again?" ode.

-I'm grateful for my grass.
-I'm grateful for my path along the side of my house (where dirt was in our old house and where Sophia would of course want to play because of it, and I'd have to remember to put shoes on to take the trash out.. sheesh),
-I'm grateful for the sandbox that while it makes them a little dirty, offers ONE more option when they tire of the tramp (and unlimited food for Mila. Yes she still eats the dirt at times.)
-I'm SOOOO grateful that having a south-facing house was such a priority as it means I have FULL shade in my backyard pretty much all day, which means our backyard is perfect while my front yard is already too hot for me and it's what... BARELY February? Where do I live?????

Winters sure are nice here. So I guess I'm grateful for where I live... for now.

10 comments:

Shea said...

Ok...that is so cute. How do you do your pictures like that??

Unknown said...

Ok Serious. GRASS. I wish I could see our grass. I have the winter blues up here. I actually did not know what was wrong with me till a friend said. Oh yeah you have winter blues. It is butt freezing up here. I wish wish wish we still lived in Cali. In warm warm wheather. I miss the sun. So hopefully spring comes early here.

Sorry just venting. smile. that is nice to have a backyard when its not to hot. :)

Michelle said...

hey...I just love that the GRASS is real GRASS. this florida grass is so weird! not play-in-ful at all. plus that color is so beautiful.

I loved the interaction shots with the girls (I think I found your flickr, so I saw a few more)..so fun and REAL!

I keep thinking to myself "Why doesn't everyone in the WORLD move to florida? It's paradise here!" then I remember that it has been january. ask me again when it's so sticky and muggy i want to die (I'll have everyone know I wasn't going to write die, but what I WAS going to write involved taking off clothes and that seemed too vulgar for an innocent comment. so, out came the "die.").

Sarie said...

Love the yard and the collage. It's nice weather here.. but when February hit I realized with a sinking heart that it's only going to get hotter.. each day.. until by April and May we'll be melting in heat. Swimming will be the only relief. Going on walks in daylight hours will be slightly out of the question. Heaven help me.

Lacy said...

Very cute pictures. How did you do the grouping like that?

Lindsay Griffeth said...

You just made me extremely jealous, Miss Lillie. I want a yard like yours for Nate to run in! Can't wait for the actual "backyard post".

Erin Marriott said...

I LOVE your backyard! And I love how GREEN your grass is. Thank you so much for all the tips on your camera. I have the D60 and I'm still in the 'how do I capture that great light' mode, so thank you thank you!! p.s. I can't believe how big Mila looks to me! She grew up overnight!!

Rachelle said...

I love your collage! Very cute! Of course I will be bugging you later for a tutorial... I feel like we haven't connected lately. Do we need a girls night? I miss you.

Erika Allred said...

I love the pictures! Yes, I'm stocking you, I found your blog on your FB. I'll add you to my blog too. You are an amazing photographer.

Becky said...

those are really cool collages. i am probably about 2 years away before figuring something that cool out, but one day maybe. thanks for inspiring me. i am with you on the nice summers in the dessert. arizona has been in the 70's and 80's this past month. if it drips below 60 i make soup, hot chocolate and crank on the heater. i am even more of a wimp about the cold than i was when we were roomies. it's true-believe it or not.