Tuesday, February 10, 2009

TV or not TV

We always wonder when that day will come that we decide to cut it for the the kids' sake.... And ours. It really is a matter of when. Or it should be at least.

We are self-proclaimed TV addicts. We've gotten a little bit better out of necessity. We just don't have as much time as we used to. I remember when I was pregnant with Sophia and working, I would look forward all day to meeting Ross at home for some dinner, and some shows. It was a good life. Sophia was due in September, when all the new shows start, and I remember seeing the dates for the premiers and thinking.... "goodbye TV. It's a new phase of life. We won't have time for you any time soon." Like this one little precious baby was going to take up every minute of our life. I had no idea how EASY she'd be (back then.) And we quickly fell right back into the same routine. With her bed-time at like 6:30, she wasn't exactly interfering with all of those new premiers. So we got ourselves a whole fresh batch. Sheesh.

Now that Sophia's getting older, and I still nap her most days, she's harder to put down at night... bed-time's around 8 which becomes 9 before we know it, and between Ross' new calling (he just got called as our ward's executive secretary), his new piano to practice, and my playing with photos, looking at photo sites, and blogging we can find ourselves finally plopping on the couch to watch a show at like 10. But that's the problem, we definitely still plop. NEVER, do we look at the clock and think, bedtime. We've created this pattern, and it's like we still expect a couple of shows at least--- regardless of the start time. This explains our ever-later (usually around midnight) bedtime. And mix that with my three-year-old's decision to join us in bed every night around 3 and kick and snuggle ONLY me--- and this might explain my new obsession with the age showing in my face and the whites of my eyes always being red. I dream of the day where I might feel totally rested... and I blame it on the kids like is totally socially acceptable--- when really, it's the shows. It's 24 (but seriously, who chooses sleep over a show that good), American Idol, Greys (gasp! I know I know, I should have dropped it when it went lesbian... and sometimes we're on the verge... but I told you, ADDICTS), House, Biggest Loser (2 hours is way too long, but it's always on the DVR waiting- but who doesn't LOVE a makeover story), The Bachelor, and Lost (even if it's a total love-hate thing for me, and it's gone way too sci-fi so that anything can happen which means I don't really care WHAT happens. You get it.) Anyway. Lots of shows.

Oh yeah and the one everyone gasps over the most (desperate housewives)

And I'm always tired.

And they're not all good for our spiritual growth I'm sure.

And they're definitely not all shows I want my kids to know I watch when they get it.

So some day... it's got to go.

Maybe after this season...



Hmmm.... or maybe after SYTYCD in the summer.

13 comments:

Sarie said...

Lillie, I was thinking about this the other day because I HAVE FINALLY LET IT GO. I am way behind on Grey's (which has never happened), don't care about desperate anymore, don't ever watch shows on abc.com (we don't have DVR), and just generally don't care. I'll sometimes remember that Bachelor is Mondays, but then I'll just turn it on for a few minutes and then come on the computer. The computer is the new obsession. and photoblogs! And people! And inspiration! it never ends.. there's always something. But TV? don't have much time for it anymore....

Whitney or Kevin said...

Hi Lillie. So you probably don't know who I am but this is Whitney, Kevin's wife. I was checking your blog the other day and saw your photo lesson post on your 1.8 lens. And I got it because I love your pictures. I have the nikon d60 so I was able to get the 50mm f1.8d for only $108. I know, you're gonna kill me. But the only problem is I can't figure it out and I've been searching photo blogs and can't figure out how to use it. My pics are turning out blurry and not that great? Help? Thanks!

And i have photoshop too is that how you make your shots so bright! I've never seen grass that green!

Erin Marriott said...

I know, I feel the same way and when I think about letting it go I realize I am an addict too. I can't help it, it's therapy. It's sanity. It's time alone with Dan at the end of a crazy day. I can't stop. When you figure it all out let me know! In the meantime I guess I'll resume being an addict. And I'm in too deep with the plots of my shows!! And yes, I know the day is coming and I'm {obviously} not ready!

Paul*Anne*Cohen*Addison said...

Hi Lillie, this is Anne Brown, mother of the adorable child you had a photo shoot with :) I just wanted to thank you for taking those pictures. It was really fun to have Cohen "model" for you!

Crazy Lifferths said...

Funny you mentioned the Grey's thing. I am totally hooked and don't want to be as it has turned in a different direction, but I can't give it up!

Lacy said...

Mine are The Closer, Law and Order, American Idol (DVR'd so we can skip stupid parts), The Office, 30 Rock, and Lost (even though I only watch it to imagine being on a tropical island and because I find bad-boy Sawyer so hot). You are one step ahead of us because we don't even consider quitting and I don't feel guilty as long as I get all my "responsible" stuff done. Happy watching!

Jlowryjr said...

And I have more shows than Lacy does.
But you should be ashamed about Greys, but only because it is a crappy show. Other than that I can't really preach (glass houses).
What's with all these smart ladies ditching LOST? Lacy is the same way. At least she'll still watch it for me, but now I know why.

TnD said...

So you are the reason The Bachelor is still on. You must add to your tv viewing FNL, Battle Star Gallactica and the Office. Not to enable you or anything.

Jlowryjr said...

What have I been saying about Battlestar Galactica Lillie? And here is independent verification from someone named TnD!

Ashley Thalman said...

When we moved last November to our new rental we were dismayed that our landlord didn't even have an antenna. Yeah, as in no evening news, lost etc. We decided that it wasn't a big deal for the time being and now 4 months later- still no TV and we love it. Now when we do watch, we watch HULU and it saves loads of time.

Kym said...

Lillie, I'm totally with you on this one. LOVE TV! What are we going to do when the kids realize what we're watching? Put them to bed, right? :)

Jill M said...

I have thought it a many of times, but we are bff's that never were. Seriously I watch all the shows you listed (minus Biggest loser) and to add to the gasp, I watch then new 90210 & Brothers and sisters. I have come to a dilema with my DVR too full too soon into the week. I always tell myself to get rid of it, but i never will. Plus it sounds stupid, but I think as a mom it is good to know what you are up against in the world. TV shows show you that! I just need to make sure all my bad shows are blocked so she can't watch them. I wish i could come over some nights when ben is at school and watch a show with you.

Mary Kay said...

Hi :) I found your blog through Ross' Facebook account. I met him during high school when I lived in CA for 1/2 a year. I'm a mom of 3 and love reading your blog (tho I've only visited a few times now) because I can totally relate to so much of what you go through as a wife and mother! So, it's very nice to "meet" you! I wanted to comment on this post because we have not had a TV for the 9 years we have been married, and I have to say that you don't miss what you don't have. If there's something on like the Olympics or Presidential Debates or other must-sees, we watch a live stream on the Internet, or visit the in-laws for group viewing. We have some kids' DVDs for rainy days but even those aren't viewed much because it's just not a habit, and I am so, so, so glad that this is our lifestyle. In our view it's a big time-wasting temptation that makes an ugly focal point in the living room so we didn't want that. There are just those occasional times when I'm out and all the moms are discussing the latest shows and I am the only one clueless, but, oh well... And surprisingly it has not yet become and issue, and hopefully won't, for my daughter who is in 2nd grade. I would advise just selling the TV, but I know that's a hard step to take, and I know we are quite unusual in that we don't have one. Best of luck :)