Friday, January 15, 2010

My Grandma, Betty.

My sweet Grandma, my mom's mom, Betty Skinner, passed away on Wednesday, January 13th, at the age of 82 in her home. She'd been sick for so long, suffering colon cancer and all of the complications that came along with that. So everyone who loves her, knows it's better that she's moved on and can find peace and rest. But still, naturally, a lot of hearts are aching. My prayers are mostly for my Grandpa right now who stays behind. They had been married for over 63 years and have remained so kind and tender toward each other. They've always been an example to me of two faithful, committed people bound in an eternal marriage that they treasured and nurtured and kept strong, together. They did it right, and set an amazing example to their 8 children and 30-something grand kids.




Just moments before I took this one, my Grandma's sister, Valda, next to her, had shown me some old photos of the two of them on the beach in Hawaii in their bikinis. I gawked while my grandma giggled at the past. I wish I could have scanned them in for the blog. They were both gorgeous of course. My grandma was once crowned a Rose Parade princess. (Queen?? ) Beautiful girl... it's no wonder where her six daughters get it. After she married my grandpa, she raised eight children, six girls, and two boys in the islands. They lived in Hawaii, Samoa, and Tonga, as she supported him in his work for the LDS church colleges out there.
It seems like she lived several life-times to me. I guess she deserves a break. :) What an incredible woman.

9 comments:

Lauren said...

So sorry, Lillie. You are in my thoughts and prayers. It's so hard to lose a loved one, especially a Grandma who sets such a GREAT example.

Christin said...

My grandpa (my dad's dad) just passed away on Thanksgiving. It was so neat to see all the pictures from his past. What an amazing person. My condolences for your loss.

Christin

Lacy said...

Lillie- that was so beautiful! I had planned to write something on my blog but that coupled with your vibrant colored photos was just perfect. Thanks for doing that!

Jlowryjr said...

That was a great post Lillie!

Kym said...

So sorry, Lillie. I've been thinking about you.

The rlmmmmcaress family said...

She is absolutely in a better place, but knowing that doesn't take away the loneliness or the feeling that a part of you is missing. My condolences to you and your family.

Unknown said...

Rest in peace beautiful grandma :) Thanks for your touching words Lillie.

Nana from San Diego said...

Lillie...thank you so much for such a sweet tribute to my Mom and Dad. They are such precious people.

*ehu. said...

My family is very sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing. Your grandparents and their/your family have had a special place in my father's heart. Just the other day he recalled several memories of your grandparents back in the islands.