Friday, January 20, 2012

A few Changes Around Here

A few new prints from our recent family pictures by Lizzie.

I've taken a picture of this room way too many times. I'm sorry if you've noticed. But it seems to be ever-changing... so I can't help myself.

One of our favorite Dave Matthew's songs. Ross was obsessed with them when we first met so all of their songs remind me of those days. I've always just really loved these lyrics. So I made this in photoshop and printed it as one of Costco's posters so it's nice and thick (since I've got no glass in this old frame.)

I'm still waiting on the hardware before I blog the kitchen... but I also had part of my banister painted white. These ones above are the AFTER. Below is the before. I've been searching for a picture of a white banister with a dark handrail where the wrought iron had been painted white to see if I could do it. I couldn't find that. And was worried that painting the wrought iron could look scary. So I gave up and just painted the base. It still brightens it up a ton for me--- there was just something about that dark wood baseboard that drove me bananas.

Seeing these photos makes me feel like I might finally need to come clean on something. I feel like I've been keeping a huge secret since I've been DREAMING of painting my house for so long and -- ahem--- I did.

But then (duh duh duh).... I didn't love it.

Which is like the worst feeling in the world when you've been saving your pennies for a project. So I lost my desire to blog before and afters. :( So so sad. I continued to pin great paint colors--- I felt like I had a weird addiction and Ross was going to have to pull me away "it's already done! get over it woman!"

You see, I thought I wanted white. But not TOO white. But not gray. For whatever reason, I thought I didn't want gray even though I'd wished I'd done gray 4 years ago. It makes tons of sense. (You'll see that my more recent pins are mostly gray. )

I thought I wanted a creamy white. Just a shade off of white. I went too off. Way too off. Way too creamy. Way too yellow. I chose linen white by Benjamin Moore. It's a huge improvement from what it was (see above.) So it's not like I hate it. It's just still a warm yellowy tone which means I don't walk into my home and get a whole new vibe. I was hoping for a new vibe. I paid for a new vibe.

Live and learn right? I'm beginning to think I'll have to view every project as a huge mistake learning experience for that custom dream home we'll build some day. ;)

14 comments:

Courtney said...

Just be glad it wasn't wallpaper! :)

Dickeroo said...

I am one of Ross's friends from college. I remember waxing philosophical to Dave. It makes me happy to see him adorning the walls of your home. Love Dave, love the song.

Beautiful home too.

Rachel Brooke said...

I want your house and decor!! :)

Jeanette said...

Lillie! At first, I thought the first photo was from a decorating magazine! Your livingroom is perfect! You are amazing, simply amazing!

Audry said...

I like the white instead of the dark on the banister. I looks so much better.

Christen said...

Is your sofa custom? I'm guessing so. I am on the hunt for living room furnishings and love yours, but I'm pretty sure my girls would have it destroyed and black within a day. How do you keep your kids away?!?

Betsy said...

Hi, where is your cool coffee table from? I've seen the same one for $1000 at stash but I would love a cheaper version. Thanks for any help!! I love your blog.

Betsy

Erica Layne | Let Why Lead said...

HI! I just followed you here from 6th Street Design school. I LOVE your home! It is gorgeous. I pinned a couple shots. Thank you!

Taryn said...

i have the same banisters (in orem...i think we live in similar homes...is yours an ivory development?) and i wondered about painting the wrought iron too. it's one of my least favorite parts of the house. let me know if you ever get the courage. i love love love your style. i wish we could be friends so you could help me decorate :) love the fiddle leaf fig tree. can i ask where you got it?

Fluff your nest said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fluff your nest said...

Beautiful home! Love the pillows on your sofa! Is that Schumacher fabric?

Abby said...

You wouldn't want to share your photoshop dave matthews creation would you? I would LOVE this poster in my home. Basically I just want to copy your whole house. Is that okay?! ha ha! www.myyellowsandboxblog.com

meg said...

oops! I meant to post on this thread! Would you mind sharing the font that you used for the DMB poster? LOVE this idea and want to steal it for my anniversary gift to hubby! :) thanks

Lillie said...

Megieswin-- the font is called 28 days later--- I can't remember where I got it... probably dafont. Hope that helps!