Sunday, April 19, 2009

Just a regular desert visitor at my front door:


ahhkhknka;kvjk;sjiorje! That's something like what came out of my mouth as my whole body contorted into all sorts of awkward eebie jeebie kinds of moves when I opened the door to find this guy. The embarrassing part is, I already knew he was out there from earlier. But he'd been down near the ground and I couldn't find a shoe big enough (or the guts) to squish him... So I saved it for later, when the girls were napping and I could FULLY focus. I opened the door, shoe in hand, expecting him at about ankle height, where he'd been before. But he was gone... PHEW! I mean awful since now he's roaming... but he's probably long gone by now. Probably across the street or killed by some dog or car or braver mama. Definitely not down here by my feet... nope.... a deep sigh of relief as I start to straighten back up to a standing position when something catches my eye, oh like 4 inches from my face!!!!!!
I don't like spiders. I don't think they're the worst of creatures.... I might actually hate ants in my house more since they come in like thousands... but there's just nothing like a big, bulbous, black spider near your face to make you spontaneously wiggle and flinch like a freak-show all day long.

10 comments:

Michelle said...

I used to hate spiders too. Now when I see one, I think, "Oh good, maybe he will eat the roaches!" :) perspective is everything.

that said, I don't see THOSE KINDS OF SPIDERS around here, so it's not really comparable.

Rebecca Smylie said...

ALL DAY LONG. Yeah, the thought makes me shiver. I can't believe you actually lived through it.

Carrie said...

Isn't that a Black Widow??? It sure looks like it! They are everywhere down in the desert...they loved to hide down at the bottom of houses and come out at night. I kill them whenever I can because I am so afraid of my kids gettting bit!

Madi B. said...

Ugh, thanks for sharing about your disgusting spider friend.

Just kidding. (Not really).

Audry said...

Yeah, Black Widow's are nasty little things. My kids use to tell me "mom I saw a black widow."

Lindsay Griffeth said...

Just the picture of that huge thing is freaking me out.

Missy said...

I CAN NOT IMAGINE. I hate spiders and freak out when I see a daddy long legs on my front porch (and I think those are the nicest of them all). What did you do??

Mark and Stefani McCune said...

Yikes!!! You were supposed to have a big WARNING before the photo popped up! Now my hands are sweating and slipping off the keyboard making it extremely hard to type this. I was looking forward to your gorgeous photos...not that this photo isn't gorgeous...just not the subject matter I'm used to seeing on your blog! Think my neck is getting blotchy too...

D3AB said...

We had one of those recently at our sliding door, but not 4 inches from our face! I think yours was bigger too! I swear they are black widows even though there is no hour glass, maybe a cousin?

Maggie said...

I was totally thinking "oh Lillie caught an awesome picture of a roadrunner!" when I read the title. Yeah, not so much. Eeeek! That's when I scream for Rob who actually is more afraid of spiders than I am but also a lot braver.