Monday, April 27, 2009

I was cleaning out some boxes in a closet we've never organized when I stumbled on this:



It's a card that apparently was sent with flowers at some point while Ross and I were dating. I don't know what he did.... but I'm pretty sure it was something pretty big...

Like using his obnoxious "ghetto" voice at the Wendy's drive-thru... or checking the Laker's score on his phone during dinner (was there internet on phones back then? ok maybe that one was last weekend.)

Or maybe being too agreeable ...making ME seem far too argumentative.

And I was probably so mad at him for these offenses that he sent me flowers with this card.

(Ok so this isn't the real thing but my photoshop replica of the above real-thing so you can actually read it.)


Doesn't it make you sort of wonder why he married me? The thing is, I'm not exaggerating. Those were precisely the things I got mad at him about. The things we broke up about. The reasons I almost didn't marry him.

I almost didn't marry Ross and almost didn't have this life with these children because I didn't like his drive-thru tone. It's scary really. If I could travel back in time, modern-lillie would totally give vintage-lillie a good slap in the face. WAKE UP! (I might be feeling more intensely about this as I caught Ross reading an old incriminating journal from the same box.) Sheesh--- what was I thinking half the time?

I'm just glad those days are over. And that I can read about them in hundreds of pages of humiliating journal entries any time I need to remind myself of how happy and lucky I am to be a jammie-wearing, DVR watching, diaper-changing, bear-handed runny-nose-wiping, happy, happy, going on 6-years-married, grown-up.

Thank goodness he was in to me enough to let me get over myself and my cool, casual fast-food-ordering abilities.

(I just FINALLY figured out how to download tons of new cool fonts from my friend Allie-- I used one on Ross' letter above... they're free and there's a whole bunch-- here)

10 comments:

Michelle said...

okay so this is totally rad...except that it's in my handwriting, so it almost feels like I was the one who wrote you a love note. :) Let's just pretend I was his scribe, shall we?

in other words, how kind you are to go to the "m"s in allie's font happiness.

when can we talk already?

Jlowryjr said...

You and your sister...two peas in a pod.

Good post.

Nana from San Diego said...

I love it, love it, love it!!! Particulary Ross' note...I laughed until I cried.

Lacy said...

So awesome Lillie. The sad thing is, I'm sure I was right there with you. "Yeah, Lillie, that is pretty annoying... I don't know if you should stay with him... that is up to you... can you handle it forever?"

Good thing we all grew up and realized what is most important in a husband. (Ross, I really didn't think you were annoying but I'm sure I was super supportive of whatever Lillie felt was right. You are the bomb too!)

Missy said...

I laughed at this post Lillie. You are just the cutest.

But, I loved Lacy's comment even more. Isn't that what sisters are for? So glad our girls have them right??

Lindsay Griffeth said...

OH, Lillie. I specifically remember being in the basement of the HFAC with you one night. One late night. And we were talking about these incredible boys we were dating but for some reason couldn't totally commit to. We were both LAME and I'm glad we finally figured that out! :)

Julie and Kyle said...

this is hilarious!

S.A.S. said...

I remember this so clearly - those little things angst'd about. Maybe it's because the rest seems too good to be true? So you (we)looked for ticks and quirks that would prove that he wasn't as perfect as he clearly is. Sigh, but he is.

The thing is, you got over yours many years ago, and I just figured that part of life out about a year ago! I still remember that talk with Paul: Well, I'm going to tell him the things that drive me crazy... what a silly list! I guess one more feather in their perfection cap is that such men are also very forgiving.

Sarie said...

I LOVE YOUR BLOG! I always learn so much (fonts, picture sizes)!

And what a sweet paragraph or two on Ross--- It's so nice to be loved.

Rebecca Smylie said...

Amen Amen amen. I want to write about this myself. You're brilliant Lillie. No wonder Ross stuck around.