Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Easter


It started with Easter baskets... yes Mila's is a reindeer basket but I grew up in a family where our treats were shoved in any basket my mom could find. And I found a Christmas basket at my mom's. It worked. We made it through church (even though my mom gave me a hard time for letting Sophia eat a banana during Sacrament Meeting... which leads me to a dilemma for another post... WHAT is appropriate at church?... sometimes I wonder if I'm breaking all the rules with my kids and their noise and their snacks and their tooting... I mean what constitutes an 'it's time to take her out'? I just don't know.)

Anyway-- after church... up to Byron and Kim's for the Easter (slash) Dane's first birthday party. We made it a brunch with strata, potatoes, salad, and rolls... candy from the pinata of course, and Tres De Leche cake-- yum. I love holiday eating. I love eating. Lately I feel like I don't ever want to diet again in my whole life. Good food is goooooood. ( I just finished a slice of cinnamon sugar toast on homemade bread on the heels of watching The Biggest Loser and crying my eyes out when the father/son combo got to see the really overweight younger brother. anybody?) anyway. Hope you had a happy Easter.

Can you believe that I can take oh so many pictures but miss things like my girls together in their Easter dresses BEFORE they've been chasing cousins around the house and running buttery fingers through their hair?

5 comments:

Jill M said...

a banana is fine. Betty is not an early riser, so we bring yougurt to sacrament and feed her after the bread/water. Nobody wants a hungry kid in church! As for toys, I can't seem to figure it out.

Lacy said...

Oh- what a fun party! It looked like a great day!

Christin said...

Sunday (sacrament) is the hardest day of the week for us. I say that as long as you're not bringing a crock pot and plugging it in, almost anything goes.

Christin

P.S. How do you do your collages. I love them.

S.A.S. said...

Ha, the crock pot. Hilarious. Easter looks wonderful - the family gathered with treats and a pinata?! I love pinatas. There's something magical about being allowed to hit something and then being rewarded by a bunch of treats spewing forth.

Love Mila's dress!

Jlowryjr said...

My rule is that, except for stick pretzels, it has to completely fit in their mouth to be eaten in the chapel. This means raisins, goldfish and aforementioned pretzels.
Bananas MAY be okay, if and only if the child never touches anything but the banana AND their hands are immediately wiped upon termination of banana-eating. This precludes most children under 3 from in-sacrament mtg banana consumption.
Noise is also an issue, which makes the "Fit in the Mouth" rule a good one, although this issue tests the pretzel exception. Individual sized foil packages are generally a no-no for this reason.

In the foyer the rules are much more broad. You can do yogurt, applesauce, you name it.

And the dish is called Tres Leches (Soy latino. ¿Sabes?)

And Sarah had me on the pinata until she used the word spew. I desire not that which speweth. I would have preferred pouring, raining, showering, or cascading. But I agree that the combination of violence and sweetness is tough to beat.