Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Proof that we did it.


Would I do it again? Yes. Tomorrow? No. Or next week?... or any time in the terribly near future?..... maybe not. Do I regret it though? no.


Have I ever liked it when people ask questions just to answer them in lu (sp) of just making statements? no. it's actually sort of a pet-peeve of mine, but here I go, asking and answering away. Having my own little conversation with myself. Showing you that even when you think you don't like something... you might... surprise yourself.



Unfortunately I was actually really expecting to LIKE camping, so no pleasant surprises. Just a little aching for real sleep. But I'm certainly not giving up on it yet. Everything before bed-time was just as I'd hoped and remembered (barring the fist-sized beetles that were bouncing off of our cheeks and forearms ("hikl;aioehioahgohika!"--- that's the sound I think may have come out of my throat during the spiritual thought when one wedged itself nicely on the blanket 2 inches from my face.) The morning was great too, waking up to the smell of the outdoors mixed with campfire. Letting the girls run around with their friends, all of us dirty and bundled and sleepy -eyed. I love that part. I don't even really mind being dirty for a while. And I love seeing friends sleepy-eyed. I'd have slumber parties all the time if it were appropriate as adults. :)


The part where it got sketchy was of course--- the night. The part where you're supposed to be unconscious. As it turns out, when you're NOT unconscious, that part isn't any fun. I really shouldn't complain. It could have been so much worse. I could have been like 8 months pregnant and sleeping with no air-mattress like Shea (I didn't know, people. Otherwise we would have offered one of ours!). Or I could have been like 6 months pregnant and gotten sprayed with filthy left-over toilet-water upon flushing like Robyn. I'm counting my blessings. :)



We had this killer tent we borrowed from Kodi and Ryan, Mila's playpen, an air-mattress for us and a little princess one for Sophia... it all seemed incredibly promising. But it was freezing cold and Mila just didn't sleep great and for fear of waking her and starting a screaming fit (like we had before) Ross and I were afraid to move a muscle. I'm the type that drinks water and pees all night and I DON'T sleep in layers so that was all just a challenge of it's own for me. I guess I can't sleep 'just anywhere' like I used to, I feel like I was half in-and-out from midnight 'till 5 when Mila woke up and we were all just happy to see that the sun was up and warmth was on it's way.

Having said all that--- we will do it again. Just maybe when Mila's a teensie bit older and not such a put-her-in-her-crib-and-shut-the-door kind of sleeper. But we'll do it again. Who knows... maybe some day, more than one night.
(oh and I've got new photos of baby Noah on my photo-blog.... what?.... how else am I going to get anyone to check that blog if I don't direct you there each time? :)

10 comments:

Carrie said...

The last time we went camping was when I was 8 months pregnant with Bree. I don't know what I was thinking...we really wanted to take the boys before the baby. Anyways...I was up all night long, freezing and peeing in this 5 gallon bucket we brought along. I know way grose, but we weren't close to the bathrooms and I was so pregnant it was inevitable, right!? I was SO glad to see the sun in the morning and be able to use a real toilet!! :) Your story totally reminded me of my last camping trip!! Thanks for the memories!! We are actually camping in our backyard this weekend...maybe you should give that a try!! LOL!

Kodi said...

Now that you've done it once, you have to try again with us! We promise fun times (although I can't guarantee that Mila will sleep. . . . ). You guys are great looking campers by the way! :)

Karley said...

I totally get it with the whole not daring to move a muscle in order to keep your baby asleep. The one and only time we went camping with Austin she had to lay on top of me or she would scream. You definately don't want to be the one with the kid that cried all night! Chalk it all up to memories though right?

brooke said...

cute pictures. maybe one time we will actually spend the night in a tent. I should add that to the list of things to do before I die.

Megan and Greg said...

Oh my gosh. I can't believe you went camping. I hate to camp. Greg and I look on here sometimes because we love your pics. Especially the ones of your kids. They're so creative and VIVID. Anyway. I never saw you as a camper. Wow. Glad you had fun.

Megan and Greg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TnD said...

Did Brooke show up in the morning? She doesn't look like she has sleep on her face! Neither in fact do you. These pics are way too good. If I had come I would have been able to show you a real morning horror show. It looks like you had a great time though :).

Missy said...

I love camping, but I'll be honest I need it to be by water. Preferably the beach. It's much more fun that way. And two nights is just the right amount for me. But, I won't be attempting it until my babies are at least 5 years old. Way to go Lillie!

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

It was so fun. Glad you guys took the plunge into the dirt and grime of camping. You'll be back, because those dirty faces are just too much fun to take pictures of.

Madi Barney said...

oh, sis. Bie, those bugs sucked! did you hear me SCREAM during the spritual thoughts when a moth came too close? i was so scared that i convinced my dad to let me and my friend sleep in the car: bug-safe, warm, and cozy with no layers to speak of. :)