Thursday, August 14, 2008

Today we partied like rock stars... or more specifically, Fancy Nancy.





Hallie's birthday party. And not one of these includes Hallie. My battery died about seven pictures in (I spared you at least two random, very pink, not particularly interesting photos. That's better than I often do. I have a hard time being selective, "less is more.... less is more", I regularly repeat this mantra in my head as my fingers win and continue to upload...) So maybe it's a good thing my battery died. But I was devastated. All these adorable little 2-4 year old girls, tons of colorful treats, and lots of fabulous accessories like tutus, sunglasses, crowns, candy necklaces, hot-chocolate-milk-mustaches, painted fingernails... I was devastated. I just kept imaging the photos in my head.

So a typical "coming home" from such an event... Sophia fell asleep in the car, in her tutu, and her hot-chocolate covered t-shirt (forgot, what with all the delicious poofy whipped cream on top that the hot choc. was even IN the cup, tipped it right over...), her hair matted to her head from the heat of the day, her face smeared with marshmallow cream sandwich, and a sticky candy necklace wedged nicely under her chin. And yup, I just scooped her out of the car and laid her gently down in her nice clean sheets. I did manage a pair of nail clippers and snipped off the necklace so she wouldn't be too tempted in some sleepy delirium to throw back a lifesaver and choke. That would be ironic.

So my little walking birthday-party just awoke, and I can hear the high-fructose corn-syrup hangover from here. (She does NOT wake up happy these days.) Better run.

14 comments:

Lacy said...

Pure poetry, Lil. Loved the post and your description of Sophia's sticky body!

Jeanette said...

What a great mom you are! Some times we do just have to lay them in their beds all sticky and know a good sleep is better than clean sheets, some times... You're awesome!

Sarie said...

Your explanation of her was better than any photo! Loved it.

Unknown said...

It just wouldn't have been a party without the hot chocolate, ice cream sandwiches, and candy necklaces. So fun. Always good to have a sugar high then low. Smile.

PS Love your dining room. So pretty.

Kodi said...

Man, you're good. Somehow I just knew you would have a great post and darling pictures. . . just mere moments after the event. I'm sorry your camera died. . . but what you got was super cute.

Heidi McMillan said...

I tagged you.

Anonymous said...

I'm now thinking you should write for a parenting magazine. With your awesome photos and descriptives, you would definately capture an audience! I love the high-fructose corn-syrup hangover -that is so true.
-B

The rlmmmmcaress family said...

Love, love, love the pics. I had to email my whole family and tell them to check out your blog. Ryan wants you as the official family photographer. The lollipops were really cute but everything was sticky by the time we got home. We are so lucky to have so many girls around us - both our own and our friends'.

Kodi said...

I LOVE that when I check your blog I get to see sweet Mia's candy filled mouth first thing. Such cute pictures.

Lindsay Griffeth said...

I think Nate goes to bed like that, daily. There's always something crusted in his hair or smeared on his face. I figure I'll get it all off at bathtime.

What a fun little party!

Mark and Stefani McCune said...

Cute! Looks like tons of fun!

I'm trying to find your phone number because I have some photography questions for you.
Stef

Angie said...

hi lillie. it's angie whittemore. i loved getting to meet at sarah's wedding and talk for a little while. i asked my mom if she knew your mom's family and she did! I think she said she knew one of your mom's siblings. Her last name was Esplin. Anyway, I love those connections, especially the Hawaii connections because they are always the most meaningful. Kind of like you and Sarah. it looks like you're doing well. you are such a beautiful girl. take care - angie

Jlowryjr said...

Where's Sophia's hat?

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

Oh Man. I give my eye teeth to throw a sticky pink birthday party, or even attend one! We don't see a lot of tutus around here, and sticky is always accompanied by dirt.