Sunday, April 01, 2007

General Conference

Favorite Talk: Elder Holland's on Saturday morning. Pretty sure he was talking to me. I always wanted to be that girl that people thought "never had an unkind or negative thing to say." Can't really say that I am. I have a tendency to complain about aches and pains a lot, I figure if I have a seizure or something unexplainable, I want Ross to be able to tell the doctor what symptoms I was complaining about :). Is that crazy? I 'm also really open, so it's unnatural for me to keep thoughts in about myself, Ross, or even other people. I've realized that I have justified negativity with honesty. I figure, if I'm feeling it or thinking it, I may as well say it- that's honesty. Hah. I believe I am mistaken. Poor Ross right? He is the opposite. "What's the point of saying it out loud if it doesn't do anyone any good?"

So I have a new resolution. Become that girl with nothing bad to say. I believe that the less I complain, nag, or gossip (gasp) out loud, the less I will actually think those things. Wish me luck.

P.S. Don't get the wrong idea; I'm not a horrible gossip or anything... I could just benefit from some restraint in "communication" sometimes. (Joe- you can quit laughing and shaking your head.)

9 comments:

D-dawg said...

I can very much relate to just being an "open" person! (o: I tend to voice every single thought that I have to poor Dave, and often that is complaining or being negative. I loved Elder Hollands talk too. I'm going to be working on the same things... good luck!

Crazy Lifferths said...

Maybe I should've listened better to that talk b/c I would probably have the same thoughts. We kinda tried to listen on the radio(we are bad!) and that didn't work out so great. I tend to start my negative bursts with, "I don't mean this bad or rude," and then express my concerns or irritations! I should make that a goal too!

Missy said...

What a great post Lillie! His talk was one of my favorite's too. He always has good ones. I'll try harder with you...

Lindsay Griffeth said...

I thought this post of yours was kind of funny because I already consider you that person! You rarely have anything negative to say about anyone! You're always so positive and I appreciate your openness and honesty!

rachelle said...

Snoop away! I've been snooping at your's off and on too. Sophia is precious.

And your post made me excited to go back and listen to conference. Since it was my birthday we kinda skipped over it, and I'm going to listen to the talks at work once they're up.

Unknown said...

You took the words of my "honest" mouth. Same thing, I justify little mean comments by saying that I'm being honest, and ever the episode of Grey's where the wife says her husband has been complaining of headaches--causing them to change the prognosis? I've been sure to let Levi know exactly what hurts, and how long.

Good resolution, I'll make the same.

S.A.S. said...

Me too, me too. Trying to rid my mouth of guile all the time, but that talk was an excellent reminder of how important words really are. My favorite was Elder Faust's, which has me hoping that anyone I've ever offended will forgive me:)

Jlowryjr said...

Lillie,
I was neither laughing nor shaking my head, but thinking as well that I can do a lot better in this way. Ross is a good example of being a positive communicator.
Now you and your sister and your mom could use a little work with one aspect of communication...

The Marriotts said...

LOVED General Conference last weekend. And for the record, Lillie, if I'm not mistaken, you're the one who is always posting the sweetest things for people on their birthdays, so you just don't have to worry about that one. You ARE the girl that never says anything bad. I, too, will try harder to not judge and gossip. It's poison.