Saturday, September 12, 2015

We Have Four Kids



The other night something made me look up this old blog.  I haven't been here in a while and once I stopped in, I couldn't pull away.  Instagram has taken over that spot in my life for documenting and sharing pictures.  If I'm "wasting" time online, I'm perusing pinterest or instagram.  But never reading blogs.  Gone are the days of getting on each morning and checking in to see what ventures my friends and their new babies were on... and gone are the days where I'd sit down and start typing all of the current thoughts of this mommy of one baby.... two babies.... a boy! I never even touched the surface of our fourth.  I hardly use to miss the opportunity to post a good meal I made, and now I've missed an entire pregnancy and the first 8 months of Knox's life.

This kid is so cute.  What if I finally print this blog someday and he's not in it?  I think I'm back.  Knox needs stories about his first words, his favorite foods, the crickets he eats...

Not to mention these other three just keep changing! I die when I look at old posts and see Sophia as a little girl. I don't know when it happened but she is practically a young woman.  She turned ten a couple of weeks ago and it blows my mind.

I think I said this in my last post a year ago.  But I don't have time to look back at it.  But I'm making a new resolution to write again.  Instagram has made it super easy to document and save some photos.  But I can't help but be dissuaded by that unwritten rule that everyone is annoyed if you post too many pictures and one a day or less is just not always enough. And sometimes there is so much more to say than is appropriate to put in someone's instagram feed.

So again, I think I'm back. I'm writing to myself now and later. I can't imagine anyone else will check this which might make it a little harder to be motivated because those blog days were fun when we were all back and forth with comments.  I'm not above that and for sure all of that validation gave me all the more fire to write.  But along with nobody checking in comes incredible freedom.  Like right now, I'm not even re-reading this. I don't think I will.  Who has time?  It might be pure gibberish and I'm quite confident it is, but I think it's worth it.  I don't have time to words and I don't have time to edit photos... I don't even have time to edit thoughts.  I probably don't have time to write at all since every night once my kids are in bed I think of a million things I wish I'd done better while they were awake.  My life has a chronic MOUNTAIN of things I could be improving on. But maybe that's exactly why I want to write.  So that all of those thoughts and goals and wishes and regrets can be documented somewhere.  To either help me remember and better myself.... or at least give my kids proof, later, of my good intentions. :/

For now, I'm tired and not sure I actually said anything in this unedited mash of words but I'm hoping this will crack the door to that part of my brain so all of the stories and conversations and moments that are happening in this amazing family and life of mine will start pouring out and be recorded.

This is it.  I used to be a new mom and it feels like yesterday.  But now I'm a 34-year-old woman with four kids ranging from 8 months to 10 years.  I still do diapers and baby food and lullabies but now I do homework and soccer and volleyball and piano and friend problems and FableHaven and chores and sometimes I just don't know when my brain is going to catch up with these crow's feet between my brows.  I'm not sure it ever will-- but I know this is it.  I'm IN my life.  It's not like leading up to it anymore.  I'm in it. Making the forever memories for my kids.  More than halfway done raising Sophia under my roof. I'm in it.

It's so overwhelming but so wonderful.  And I'm just so grateful for these four personalities I scored.. and for such a solid partner in Ross to cross our fingers together and hope we do it right.

And for prayer.

Life is still super good over here.




4 comments:

Michelle said...

Hello my sweet friend. I think you've captured why the blog just has to go on, in some form. These younger babies of ours HAVE to see their world (at least a little of it) through our eyes the same as their siblings. Knox and I are both so pleased with your decision to have another go at it. And I'm pretty sure blogging might have a total re-birth, because if Lillie's doing it, it must be cool again! :)

Love you girl, always will. Can't wait to hear a bit more of the details.

ps: one thing I've noticed from printing out blog books--it doesn't matter if you go a day or a week or a month in between posting. As long as you're fairly regular, it will look like the spacing was done on purpose and no reader will notice a thing. I even take out my apologetic "sorry it's been so long" posts when I go to publish a book, because it takes away from the story I'm trying to capture...although mine are never quite as beautiful as that one you just wrote. I might keep that in. :)

Laura said...

Lillie,
I am just a stranger in Blogland, and I too just jumped back into blogging. Somehow, my blog got hacked a year or so ago and linked to some other sites, so I just stopped blogging all together because I didn't want to link followers and family to weird stuff. My husband took the time to figure it out, and I have about a dozen posts just ready to post. I LOVED following you and Julie Christensen, and many others who were inspiring and fun! It's fun to see that we all pick the same swimming suits for our daughters at Target, we love our husbands, and we love raising our family in the gospel. I also think that there is nothing like posting all the pictures we want to remember from a memory. Not just the one on Instagram, but the whole of them, and our feelings. I love going back and revisiting our life of little ones. It wasn't that long ago that we were all under one roof, and now I want to share the everyday with our college kids. I don't want them to miss one preschool Christmas show or one varsity football game without at least, a few pictures and the feelings that night. Can't wait to hear about Mr. Knox and all of his adventures with siblings who adore him. ~Laura

Ashley said...

I am sooooo happy that I opened blogger and there was a post from you. I don't know you, but I started following your blog back when your 3rd was born! You have such a lovely family and awesome style! I hope you continue blogging!

Unknown said...




thank you