Friday, January 25, 2008

The Celebration....


So seeing as he was turning 30, and last year I disappointed him on his birthday by getting him nothing, (he was supposed to buy a blackberry and didn't for several months,) and I didn't take him to dinner (since I'd taken him to lunch and I thought we decided against it)... I had to have a little surprise for Ross this year. Thanks to exceptional friends, it actually worked. I emailed Sean and Matt, two of his all-time best friends he's known since Jr. High (Elementary?? Ross?) to see if by ANY crazy chance they could pull off a last minute trip to the desert the weekend after Ross' birthday. Sean's in PA school about an hour away from us, and studies around the clock, so I wasn't sure he'd have the time. Matt's in Vegas which isn't exactly around the corner, and Nevada's caucus was that morning... but they made it happen! I tried to discreetly clean my house and put on something other than sweats (I'm surprised Ross didn't know something was up because of that) and Saturday afternoon, the doorbell rang and seriously made Ross' 30th.

(Lindsey and Sean brought their adorable Ethan and Mahlia... Mahlia's picture is at the top because I like to see a cute picture when I first click on my blog and she is DANG cute.)




Sean and Lindsey.

Matt and Lyndi.


And one of all of us at CPK. Kids at home with a sitter :):):):) They ended up ALL sleeping over and squishing in our little house that night- it was the BEST. Felt like a sleepover when you were a kid, with all of your cousins or something. Busy, cluttered house in the morning, everyone with bed-head 'till like noon, waffles, eggs... the best.

9 comments:

Jlowryjr said...

That is an excellent gift Lillie. I'm sure you won major points for that one. I know Lacy has a tough time buying for me, because almost everything I really want is either too expensive or would require that I be there to pick it out.
Still, she pulls off some nice surprises.

Lauren said...

What a nice wife you are, Lillie! I'm sure that Ross was totally surprised and excited. Way to pull something cool off! I love friend sleepovers. They are so much fun.

Scott McMillan said...

Such a great idea. I have yet to be creative on my husbands birthday. I need to learn from you.

Kimberly said...

How hard to keep that kind of secret. I would want to blab it to him that I'm doing something great that he would love. Surprises are the best when you can pull them off!

Carrie said...

Lillie,
I don't know if you remember me but we used to live in the desert and I had met you a couple times at baby showers and other events. It is funny because Sean was actually my home teacher in our ward in San Marcos. We would talk about you every once in a while and he couldn't believe I knew who you were. Small world! I am really good friends with Sean's sister in law Marcie. I visit your blog a lot and look at your gorgeous photos...you are so talented. I love the recent picture of Mahlia! I can't believe how she has grown. She is Gorgeous!

Michelle said...

what a great weekend. brandon once surprised me like that on my birthday with friend/sis-in-law tina. it was the BEST surprise of my life, and so fun because I didn't have to WAIT for anything. the fun arrived before I knew to grow impatient for it. awesome! :)

time to talk again...I'll be calling you soon.

Lindsay Griffeth said...

What a nice and thoughtful wife you are!

I can only imagine how much fun the 6 of you had. I was lucky enough to get to spend some time with all of them since Laurel is good friends with them, too. Lindsey & Sean were nice enough to let us crash with them when Laurel & I went to Hawaii and I saw Mr. Cardall quite often at the good old BYU. Great friends & a great idea for you to get them together!

snlbarney said...

Lillie, I have been out of the blog loop lately, and was so excited to open the page and see my sweet little girl there! What a great pic, and yes, I stole it and saved it to my computer already:) We had the BEST time, and were so sad to leave... I wish we were closer, and Ethan had the best time with Sophia. I am going to come visit this month, I'll e-mail with dates:)

D-dawg said...

So fun to see pics of Ross, Matt and Sean all together again. What a great surprise Lillie, you are a great wife. I'm sure Ross loved the reunion!