Thursday, October 19, 2006

Lickin the plate...




This is Sophia eating applesauce. She doesn't want to miss any so she skips spoons and fingers and goes straight for the bowl-- mouth to bowl... it's the same way she eats leftover ketchup on her plate. Yum.

At 13 months, she's getting closer and closer to talking right back to us. Although, the whole talking issue is kind of confusing to me. I don't really understand how you know when your baby has said their first word. I'm beginning to think everyone just has their own idea-- so you can't really compare what other mom's tell you. Mama-- Dada... sure she's been saying that since she was like 4 months old along with nana, papa, baba and some other baby babble that while exciting to hear, definitely didn't hold any of the meaning we connect to those words. So do mothers count the first word as when they really think the child understands the meaning of it? That would make sense to me but if so, it's just kind of hard to know when that first time is. It's different than I expected. I thought one day my little baby girl would look at me and say "mama" and I would know she was addressing me, and by doing so first, I would know I was her favorite. :) Not that simple.

However--- while she's been saying these words for a while, I do think lately her "mama's" are only said to me, not when she's with her Daddy. And the other day we were at the park when a white car drove by, similar to Ross' white car that he drives off in as we wave "Bye bye" to him in the morning. Sophia stopped what she was doing and ran toward the street (ahhh!) saying "Dada Dada Dada" so I'm thinking she's smarter than I thought.

She has also gotten the tone thing down so while she's not mimicking my actual words yet, (except for "uh oh") she does mimick the intonation really good when she wants water, yogurt, or to say "bye bye". Also any time I say "yay" or "good job" she starts clapping. It really is amazing just to see how many little things they pick up on. My daughter's a freakin genius. Just kidding.

No comments: